Identify stage of change for seeking mental health treatment:
- Identify their stage of change by using open-ended questions, affirmations, and reflecting change talk
Check the Stages of Change page under Communications
- Identify where they are on the readiness ruler
Check the Readiness Ruler under Tools
If client is in precontemplation and contemplation, try using skills listed in the Communications Tips & Strategies
If client is in preparation or action:
- Help client identify all of the barriers (e.g., "I want to go to counseling, but who would watch my kids?").
- Help client generate list of all possible solutions. Don't eliminate any.
Try not to give solutions, it will be more helpful if your client can generate their own.
- Help client evaluate each solution (what could happen, both good and bad outcomes).
- Help client choose the solution that looks best for them.
- Make an action plan.